Make sure your Business Office has correct address for NJECC
New Jersey Educational Computing Cooperative
549A Pompton Avenue
Cedar Grove, NJ 07009
NJECC’s 31st Annual Conference will be held on Tuesday, January 10, 2017. Please join us for this exciting event. Our Keynote will be Alice Keeler. We will have Media Center strand and G&T strand. We need rfp’s by end of October. Click here for rfp.
Joshua Koen – new job
Tom Murray, Director of Innovation at the Future Ready Schools, spoke to us about this National Initiative.
What do 2,258 Superintendents have in common? Each of them has signed the National Future Ready Schools Pledge (see http://futureready.org/), a national initiative to help school districts develop comprehensive plans to achieve successful student learning outcomes by (1) transforming instructional pedagogy and practice while (2) simultaneously leveraging technology to personalize learning in the classrooms.
Tom will share how Future Ready Framework and the Planning Dashboard can be implemented in your district and school as a robust structure for digital learning visioning, planning, and implementation focused on Personalized Student Learning. The research-based Framework emphasizes collaborative leadership and creating an innovative school culture. All content focuses on seven key areas (called gears), plus leadership, each of which is addressed during the comprehensive planning process. This framework keeps student learning at the heart of all decision-making focusing on the following areas:
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Personalized Professional Learning
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Budget and Resources
- Community Partnerships
- Data and Privacy
- Use of Space and Time
- Collaborative Leadership
About Tom Murray:
Thomas C. Murray serves as the Director of Innovation for Future Ready Schools at the Alliance for Excellent Education located in Washington, DC. He has testified before the United States Congress and works alongside that body and the US Senate, the US Department of Education and state departments of education, corporations, and school districts throughout the country to implement high quality personalized learning. Murray was recently named the “Education Policy Person of the Year” by the Academy of Arts and Sciences at the 2015 Bammy Awards.
10 minute small group discussion of:
3-4 years down road what we want classrooms/teaching to look like
- giant makerspaces
- personalized learning – asking kids what they need
- compliance is the enemy of innovation, too many mandates
5 minute small group discussion of:
What has the effective use of technology looked like in your district?
- deeply connected to sound educational structures
- 1:1 focus on what could NOT have been done w/o technology
- can improve relationship between teacher and student
Where has the use of technology in your district NOT been effective?
- buying devices but not training staff so they become doorstops
- interactive whiteboards installed incorrectly
4 minute small group discussion of:
What is the WORST professional learning you’ve experienced? Why?
- death by Powerpoint
- all informational/philosophy no practical applications
What is the BEST professional learning you’ve experienced? Why?
- GAFE conference
- immediate use
- talking/collaborating to other people
- Code.org whole day – engaged all day
Sometimes the things we’re saying are not what we are really meaning.
Please fill out Member Interest Survey – https://docs.google.com/a/plps-k12.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeigpnFSZjSlQEYttcPzLj7DcqA0xEsFL7K53-ww-U9FuCHkA/viewform
- Tile https://www.thetileapp.com – The easiest way to find your things. Tile is a tiny Bluetooth tracker and easy-to-use app that helps you find everyday items in seconds.
- Teachers Matter: Understanding Teachers’ Impact on Student Achievement – http://www.rand.org/education/projects/measuring-teacher-effectiveness/teachers-matter.html
- NJ Monthly article on Blended Learning – https://njmonthly.com/articles/towns-schools/seeking-right-blend-blended-learning/
NEXT MONTH’S MEETING TOPIC – Innovative Practices in Assessment
contact Patrick Higgins – https://about.me/pjhiggins
Looking forward watch for:
- partner with Maker Depot
- Blended Learning Institute at end of the year